Re: Sony SRF-59

Gary DeBock

On Sat, Dec 4, 2021 at 07:03 AM, Mark wrote:
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anybody has any experience with the above pocket radio as an ultralight MW DX machine?

I picked one of these up on ebay, on a recommendation and it's arrived this afternoon. It's in fantastic condition.

Many thanks,
Hi Mark,

The SRF-59 was the Ultralight radio that kicked off the Ultralight radio craze in late 2007. A full review of the model is posted on the DXer.Ca website at Sony SRF-59 Reviewed (dxer.ca)

My own interest in the model happened because of the chance receptions of the transoceanic DX stations 594-JOAK, 747-JOIB and 972 HLCA on a stock SRF-59 shortly after local midnight in November of 2007. The 1000+ DXer craze happened after Colin published my SRF-59 review on DXer.Ca, and a mass stampede into the Ultralight radio niche group kicked off, "hijacking" the IRCA list until the SDR users politely asked us to form our own Yahoo group.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)