Re: XHDATA D-808 external antenna jack question

Alfredo Gallerati

Ok Gary, this was yust a doubt which some friends of mine told me.
Concerning the FSL Antenna, can you tell me please if I can buy that antenna
from you ?
Best greetings and regards
73’s de Alfredo Gallerati, IK7JGI

========================================================================

Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2021 10:13 AM
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] XHDATA D-808 external antenna jack question

On Thu, Aug 12, 2021 at 10:49 PM, Jim Townley wrote:
I just ordered the XHDATA D-808 and later observed a few posts which indicated that the external antenna jack is for all bands except MW. I downloaded a recent PDF of the manual, which states that the external antenna jack is for mw sw fm and the air band. Is this something that they updated at some point in the production, or an error in the manual? Will I have to modify the radio to enhance mw reception with an external antenna?
Thank you in advance,
Jim
Hi Jim,

I have traced out the circuit connections from the XHDATA D-808 antenna jack, and can confirm that the connections are only for FM and Shortwave (see attached photo). The whip antenna lead is connected to the ANT jack's inner lead, which both go to the FM-SW circuitry. Unlike the whip antenna lead the ANT jack has a ground connection, though, so this may be useful for certain types of FM-SW antennas.

For MW sensitivity boosting your best option by far would be to use your 7" FSL antenna with inductive coupling, although the 7.5" MW loopstick transplant would also "smoke" the stock model in MW-DXing sensitivity.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.