Re: 40 years of Dxing

kirk74601 <kirk74601@...>

Hi Allen
What a neat posting you just made! Congrats on such a milestone. You
got me thinking back, and I believe I'm around the 39th year since I
first got bit by the DX'ing bug. I wish you many more years of
enjoyment in this most fascinating and challenging hobby!!
--- In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, Allen Willie <vo1_001_swl@...>
wrote:

&nbsp;
Hi Everyone,
&nbsp;
&nbsp;
&nbsp;This coming Tuesday, June 17th will mark my 40th anniversary
as a radio dxer.
&nbsp;
&nbsp;It all began for me on the evening of June 17,1968,&nbsp;
tuning the dials of a Crosley tabletop AM-FM radio on the farmstead
back in Alberta. My first taste of long distance DX was&nbsp; hearing
the following message that evening:

"It's 8:03PM Mountain time, This is&nbsp; 560 KMON Great Falls,
Montana"... The rest is History

Forty years have passed since that evening and this radio
enthusiast still has the passion burning inside for pulling out those
signals from faraway places on the radio dials.
It's been forty years of wonderful memories from hearing that first
distance AM station to&nbsp; Clayton Howard&nbsp;and his &nbsp;DX
Party Line Show on HCJB Quito, Ecuador on shortwave. The list goes
on.

Radio has&nbsp;provided me many new acquaintances and friendships
either through the hobby or working professionally in the industry.
&nbsp;
To all&nbsp;my fellow radio dxers, hobbyists,&nbsp; personalities
and amateur radio operators , thank you for accompanying me on this
wonderful journey over the past four decades. It has been a most
enjoyable experience.

In closing, to be fortunate enough to&nbsp;&nbsp;reside&nbsp;near
the location &nbsp;where&nbsp; radio has &nbsp;had many of it's
beginnings and known as one of the best Dxing&nbsp; locations on
earth, it is truly an honor and privelege to experience first hand
what Mr. Marconi and others began.
&nbsp;
&nbsp;I'll be celebrating all that day&nbsp;by Dxing&nbsp; all the
various radio bands along with a&nbsp; dawn and sunset&nbsp;
Dxing&nbsp;trip up to Historic Signal Hill above St. John's and
possibly on out to Cape Spear, the most easterly point in North
America for more of the same. Will also be taking along the
ultralights in hopes of maybe hearing&nbsp; a new one or two on those
as well. A special QSL&nbsp; will be sent on to some of
the&nbsp;stations or operators I hear during the day's activities.
&nbsp;
Sincerely,

Allen Willie VO1-001- SWL&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Canadian
SWL Station
St. John's, Newfoundland&nbsp; Canada

Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk
email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in
Mail and switch to New Mail today or register for free at
http://mail.yahoo.ca