Re: ULDXIndex - A Suggestion

Paul Blundell

Those are all very good points and I agree. I was just playing around with a way to include the signal level as well, so that it is not just about if you log a station but also how well the signal comes in. I also plan to include a weighting for internal v external to allow for the differences this makes.

I will share what I do and find but am in no way trying to force anybody to use this system, as you said we can all rate our catches how we want.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 1:30 PM Gary DeBock via groups.io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
<<<   Following some discussions on here and my own experiences, I have added an extra value to account for signal level. This rates the signal from poor, weak, average, good and excellent and assigned a value to this. It is weighted so that as the signal level improves, the ULDXIndex also increases. Below are some examples to show how it works.   >>>

Paul,

Of course everyone is welcome to chase DX any way they wish and rate their DX catches any way they want, but most of the experienced DXers value the challenge of long distance and low powered catches, and study propagation, antennas and tactics in order to increase their chances of success in this form of challenging DX. Long distance transoceanic DX and low powered DX do require a lot more effort on the part of the DXer, but the thrill of success is greater, and the ULDX Index was most likely designed by DXers who appreciate this challenge, and think it should be emphasized.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)