Re: Introducing the ULR DXing Chart-Index

Paul Blundell

Excellent point. I think keeping LW and MW separate is a good idea as the numbers for LW can be much higher.
6.56 for 7BU is a good effort, sadly they switched to FM a couple of years ago. This has had the advantage of helping me as it has opened up 558kHz for some DX from QLD and WA.

On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 6:50 PM Gary DeBock via groups.io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
The really astronomical indexes come from low-powered Longwave aeronautical beacons (NDB's) received at ranges over 10,000 km across the equator. 362-WK in Whakatane, New Zealand (25 watts at 11,017 km from Manzanita, Oregon) results in a wacky index of 440.68, while 366-SF in Springfield, New Zealand (50 watts at 10,977 km from Manzanita, Oregon) results in a more modest 219.54.

The best medium wave DX index at the same Rockwork Cliff would be for reception of 558-7BU in Burnie, Tasmania, Australia during the August 2017 DXpedition. That 2,000 watt station was received at 13,128 km from Manzanita, for a very modest index of 6.56.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)