Re: First long distance FM reception

Les Rayburn

Johnny,

Congratulations! That certainly was an E-Skip (Sporadic E) reception. However, now comes the bad news. Just like crack cocaine, the first sample is free…and then you’re hooked! For the rest of your life, your summers and holiday seasons will be ruled by the nagging craving, the deep yearning for just one more shot of E-Skip.

When you can’t get your fix, you’ll start going through withdraw. You’ll erect higher and larger antennas…try to satisfy yourself with troposcatter receptions out to a few hundred miles. Then you’ll add low noise pre-amps, and RG-11 cable cause it’s lower loss than RG-6…maybe try your hand at meteor scatter…but still you’ll dream about E-Skip.

You’ll join the WTFDA Club, just so you have other addicts to talk to. Some of them have insider knowledge, and know where to score. If nothing else, they’ll understand your struggle.

When you’re finally able to score some of the really good stuff…I mean a monster opening that lasts for hours…you’ll ride the high, chase the dragon, and swear that everything in life is good.

Then it’s back to endless static, searching for the next hit….

The life of an E-Skip addict. I don’t know if I should pat you on the back or cry for you.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

NRC & IRCA Courtesy Program Committee Chairman
Member WTFDA, MWC

Perseus SDR, Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy + Discovery, SDRPlay RSP-2 Pro, Sony XDR-F1HD [XDR Guy Modified], Dennon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1X, Ray Dees RDS Decoders, Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Kitz Technologies KT-501 Pre-amps, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.

“Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else’s favorite song…”

Powered by Mailbutler, the email extension that does it all

On Jul 5, 2021, at 11:40 PM, Frank Standford <dxer2k1@...> wrote:

Amazing Jonny.

Sent: Tuesday, July 06, 2021 at 8:59 AM
From: "Paul Blundell" <tanger32au@...>
To: main@ultralightdx.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] First long distance FM reception
Great work, thanks for sharing.

On Tue, 6 Jul 2021, 07:11 Johnny via groups.io, <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

The other day I was able to receive my first long distance FM reception and I must say it was quite addicting!

I received 98.7 Kiss FM in Celina, Tennessee from San Angelo, Texas!  1015 miles!

Would that be considered E-Skip?

Thanks to all!

Johnny