Re: First long distance FM reception

Peter Laws

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 4:11 PM Johnny via groups.io
<jlochey@...> wrote:

Hi all,

The other day I was able to receive my first long distance FM reception and I must say it was quite addicting!

I received 98.7 Kiss FM in Celina, Tennessee from San Angelo, Texas! 1015 miles!

Would that be considered E-Skip?
Sure? :-)

There isn't really a good way to tell, but my friend Doug's FM DX map
might be instructive (is to me, anyway!) -
http://www.spegweb.com/radiotv/index.php

Pretty distinct donut with no reception. Doug has logged enough
stations over time that the donut (why am I hungry now?) is probably
not from a lack of stations in those areas.

Anything inside the donut is *likely* to be tropospheric ducting while
anything outside is *likely* to be Sporadic E.

If I heard an FM station 1600 km downrange like that *I* would assume
Sporadic E.

Also: WOW! Way cool!