Re: Belka DX

Paul Blundell

That sounds like a very interesting radio and I would love to hear more about it and how it works for you.

Paul

On Sun, Jun 27, 2021 at 10:41 PM John <johnk5mo@...> wrote:
Hello all, and hope this message fits the group.  I just received a Belka DX and it certainly meets the requirements of the "ultralight" description. It's the original "black box", four buttons and a single knob!  It's smaller than a deck of cards, smaller than an Altoids box, slightly bigger than a box of matches.

It's an amazingly good radio!

I've had several small portables, Sangean, Sony, Degen, and a lot of shortwave radios over the years, and this little box outperforms any portable I've run across...hands down.

A more fair comparison would be to compare the Belka to a table top shortwave receiver. It's *that* good.

One potential downside for this audience is that there's no AMBCB coverage. The upsides are many. I could have easily used this as a communication receiver for Field Day with nothing more than 16" of whip extended.  Those of us who are hams know that 40M CW during a contest , is a great test of dynamic range handling. The Belka shines here.

Other features:
  • Internal battery and speaker (in the model I ordered)
  • BNC antenna jack
  • 12 hour battery life (rechargeable Lithium pack)
  • simple backlit display
  • Fully adjustable bandwidths per mode
  • Simple menu configuration
  • Multiple memories (Not sure how many...30?)

I'll post more info if there's interest as I'm still learning the features (it ships with no instructions, ala Apple).   The designer Alex provides excellent communications and friendly emails. Shipment from Belarus took about a week..

This is not only the best portable I've ever used, but would rank as a very good tabletop.

I'll be happy to answer any questions as I learn more how to use this most effectively.

John K5MO