Re: Daytime DXing Records Suggested

John H. Bryant <bjohnorcas@...>

Yes, Interesting observations, Mark.... that's exactly why I suggested "non-coastal" loggings... which would more nearly give the whole continent an even shot at the record....  and, yes, we've had HLAZ in South Korea more than 2 hours after dawn... but rarely and coastal, of course (from Grayland :>)

John B.

At 04:54 PM 6/10/2008 +0000, you wrote:

On Cape Cod, Turks & Caicos 530 at 1400 miles is easy enough to hear
on pure groundwave. Maybe not with a "stock" ultralight, but
certainly on one with a super-sized ferrite rod, or if passively
coupled to a decent size high-Q box loop. You would also be able to
get the Jacksonville, FL station on 690 from south-facing Cape Cod
beaches such as West Dennis. That's at about 1100 miles.

Transatlantic DX more than 2 hours before sunset has indeed occurred
at Massachusetts coastal sites in autumn and winter. Saudi Arabia on
1521 is the gorilla of the bunch, with a log of it from East Harwich,
MA at 1 p.m. EST / 1800 UTC once. A few years back in November in
Newfoundland, the DXpedition crew at Cappahayden had all-day Norway-
1314 at levels consistent with ultralight-capable reception. That
juggernaut is now silent, but I don't see why Saudi 1521, Croatia
1134, or some other megablaster could not allow a similar feat in
eastern Canada or even in New England states coastal areas.

Mark Connelly, WA1ION - Billerica, MA, USA

--- In ultralightdx@..., "John H. Bryant"