Re: FM Translators - Why?

radiojayallen

One other aspect of this I haven't seen discussed (and forgive me if it was and I missed it) is what I would call The Tail Wagging The Dog". I have seen many cases where a struggling AM station was granted anĀ  FM translator, and since the two stations must carry the identical programming, the owners switch the format of the AM station to one they feel will be most successful on FM. I have seen many AM'ers which carried, say, Music Of Your life or oldies which changed to Adult Cpmtemporary or Rock which was a loss for the AM's listeners.

I understand the reasoning for this...I just hate to see it.

jay