Re: Daytime DXing Records Suggested

Carl DeWhitt

---
John:
I agree with your definition of daytime dx.It matches my own standard
i had set for myself.
I think these long haul dx catches in the daytime are the result of
enhanced ground wave that this area of the country is known for.I
believe this is enhanced after long term heavy rains that cause wide
spread flooding.These signals are all steady in strength although in
some cases weak as i think they would be for ground wave.I have not
noticed any fading or unsteady signals with these logs as i would
expect with skywave .During heavy flooding in the Midwest in the
1990,s,i received my most distant daytime log (on 650 )from
Nashwauk,Mn at 765.75 miles per the FCC(heard on a non
ultralight-G.E.Super Radio 3).I believe it was during this time i also
heard Chicago stations on 670 and 720 for my 2nd and 3rd most distant
stations.
By the way,i have corrected an error i made and have recalculated my
distance records.i will post them later .

In ultralightdx@yahoogroups.com, "John H. Bryant" <bjohnorcas@...> wrote:

OK, fellas!

Lets found a Most Distant Reception: Daytime
record that we may expand into transmitter power
categories later. Daytime is officially defined
as that perior from Local Sunrise + 2 hours to
Local Sunset - 2 hours. What I'll need for a
submittal is just like the other records....
Date, Time, Frequency, Station, Location,
Distance and you might as well record tx
power. If it is very close to the edges of that
definition of Daytime, please do take care....
but as usual, the honor system rules.

Why don't you submit them here on the group so
we'll see the level of activity. I'll collect
data for a week or two an then do a record update.

John B.

At 05:23 PM 6/7/2008 -0400, you wrote:

At 02:14 PM 6/7/2008, you wrote:

Carl DeWhitt suggested:

Today i logged KKLL -1100-Webb City,Mo from 0853-0900 Central time
with southern gospel music and network station i.d.s on the hour.poor
signal.
It is my most distant daytime log this far up the band on an
ultralight.
To date,i have logged 9 states in the daytime on an ultralight with my
most distant catch being KLTT-Commerce City,Co -568 miles.
States heard in the daytime-Ok,Tx,Ar,Mo,Ks,,Co,,Ia,SD&Ne.
How about new categories for most distant catch during the daytime and
number of states heard during the day ?

Hi Carl.....that is a GREAT Idea!!! I think
Daytime Distance Records would add a New
Dimension to this already Crazy Subculture of
our Hobby!! As a matter of fact.....after the
Sprint Contest earlier this year, one of my
Suggestions was to open up a "Daytime Only"
Contest Category for DX'ers who wanted to enter
the contest by logging ONLY stations heard
during the daylight hours!! It is amazing just
how far we can sometimes hear stuff during
daylight hours....especially in the Winter!!!

So.....Here is another vote John, to open up a
Datytime Only Record......even if we just keep
it simple and say...."Any station heard during
Daylight Time"....that's Plus or Minus 2 hours
of Sunrise and Sunset....as you mentioned John.

I really think it would be interesting to see
what can be accomplished in this Sub Category.
If it catches on....then sure......open up the
Various Power Categories as well.....

I know when I entered the Sprint Contest in the
Spring....MANY of the stations I logged for the
contest were heard during the Daytime!!

I'm glad to see that Carl suggested
this......and I'm sure there are others who would like the idea!!!

And.....If Allen Wylie logs Africa....or John
Bryant Logs Austrailia during Daylight
hours.......I SURRENDER!!!! HAHAHHAHA....

73....ROB.

Robert S. Ross VA3SW
Box 1003, Stn. B.
London, Ontario
CANADA N6A5K1

Antique/Vintage Radio Enthusiast
Amateur Radio Stations VA3SW/VE3JFC

Defy Physics.....Play Table Tennis!! (Ping Pong with an Attitude)