Re: Improving Pocket UL FM reception

radiojayallen

Just remember that in FM a narrow bandwidth has a much different effect than it does on AM and may be less noticeable unless you are specifically checking for selectivity. Forgive me if you already know this, but on AM a narrower bandwidth, in addition to providing better selectivity, also reduces high frequency response as theĀ  high frequencies are contained in the sidebands.

But on FM there is no apparent change in frequency response...only a subtle change (by portable radio standards) in distortion. So on a casual listen you may hear no difference e between a wider or narrower FM bandwidth but in tight selectivity cases you should see a big increase in selectivity. In my location the DT-800 does a better job at separating tightly spaced FM stations in its Narrow FM mode.

Again, forgive me if this is old news to you.

Jay