Re: Good source for 18650 batteries?

Mark Roberts

Totally agreed about the drain from the digital clock. The XHDATAs that I have require recharging every two to three weeks even if they are not otherwise used. That's why I think there's a problem. The other radios with a clock display can last months. When I can, I use metal-hydride batteries.

One other downside of lithium-ion batteries: At least in the United States, you're not supposed to put anything with such batteries in checked luggage on an airplane.

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 5:10 AM radiojayallen <radiojayallen@...> wrote:
For radios I use with any regularity I don' remove the batteries...too inconvenient. I only had the two radios which drained batteries fast while off (they would be down in a few days) were both defective and replacements eliminated the problem, so this shouldn't normally be an issue. With one such radio the audio amp was staying on all the time...the cause of the second one (a PL-990) is yet to be determined but I am waiting for an answer on that from the seller. The replacement PL-990 doesn't have this problem).

To be clear, digital radios do use a small amount of power to keep the clock running but this kind of drain should take a long time to show up so if you use the radio even once a month you shouldn't notice it.

Jay