Re: Handheld Ultralight FM DXing Directional Antenna?

kevin asato

Ever consider a transportable 2 meter beam antenna? Or scaling one up from plans? You can construct one from steel tape measure elements using a PVC pipe or wooden broomstick for the boom which can be readily broken down for transport. (Look up direction finding antenna for example). The antennas could be handheld or mounted on a camera tripod and can be used in horizontal or vertical orientation. A 2 meter beam element lengthĀ is at least 10cm/12 inches shorter than one required for the US FM broadcast band but in an area of reasonable signal, you should not notice a difference. And again, the antenna can be scaled up to whatever segment of the FM broadcast band is available in your area. (ie, Japan's FM band starts at 76MHz so will obviously be much larger)
73,
kevin
kc6pob

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 5:10 PM Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> wrote:
Hi Johnny,

In the past I had considered getting a small FM Yagi and mounting this to a portableĀ tripod but I never got very far with it.

Paul

On Tue, May 4, 2021 at 9:00 AM Johnny via groups.io <jlochey=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi all,

Anyone experiment with portable FM DXing antennas that can be packed for DXing field trips?

Like a handheld Yagi or something else?

Just wondered what (if anything) is out there, or if what I'm proposing would even be practical?

Johnny