Re: Graveyard channels

Peter Laws

On Tue, Mar 23, 2021 at 8:34 AM Tony Magon <temagon@...> wrote:

Hi

The graveyard channels in the USA are 1230, 1240, 1340, 1400, 1450 and 1490 khz

On these frequencies these stations can run a maximum power of 1000 watts

In earlier years ie back in the 60s - I think their max power was 250 watts

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1viufJPvMNFZNrGZ_-7otN12y4ntbXyqnC2OMixfCg6A/edit?usp=sharing

I got curious one day and made the chart above. I believe it to be
accurate. The six channels listed are the "Local" channels a/k/a
Class C. 250 -1000 W, unlimited time (i.e., not "Daytimers"
necessarily).

There used to be 100-W stations and those are apparently grandfathered
at that power level, but if you want to start a new station -- and
really, wouldn't we all want to? -- it would have to be at least 250
W. 1000 W if you actually want listeners. :)

In AK/HI/PR/VI these are Class B channels, so 250 W to 50 kW.

There is a link at the page above to the FCC's site that has more details.