Re: 531 kHz Australians' S9+ Shootout at 11,700 km

Gary DeBock

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021 at 08:46 AM, C B wrote:
Great recording! Thanks. I might have expected that with the behemoth FSLs you brought to Rockwork the two years I joined you. The effectiveness of the 6 inch FSLs continues to amaze. I'm glad that braving the elements on the cliff paid dividends for you!
73,
Craig Barnes
Wheat Ridge, CO

Thanks Art and Craig,

Craig, these compact , reworked FSL antennas are the way to go-- just ask Paul, up in Alaska! He mentioned to me yesterday that he thinks his 5 inch FSL outperforms a 4 foot air core box loop. There isn't much sense in dragging the 35 lb. monster FSL's around the ocean cliffs when these 9 lb. models can track down S9+ snarls of the Australians on 531 like this in March, and all-time west coast firsts like 594-Myanmar and 675-AIR in October.

Craig, these new-design 6 inch FSL models pack a little more gain than your 5 inch "Frequent Flyer" model, and I'll be happy to provide you with one prior to your Rockwork Cliff trip in August. I've attached a design photo of the antenna-- which (after its exceptional Asian TP-DX performance in October) has been given a new nickname here-- the "Six Appeal" FSL model :-)

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)