Re: Returning to the world of ULR DXing, what's on the approved list these days???

Gary DeBock

On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 01:12 PM, Alex wrote:
As far as the rules 20 inches in cubic volume correct?? Also are the awards still being issued, and if so to whom do I submit logs?
Welcome back to the group, Alex!  Yes, the SRF-29, 39, 49 and 59 series of analog Ultralights have been discontinued by Sony for quite a while. Occasionally NOS units will show up on eBay, though, with prices all over the map.

The Ultralight Awards program has been in limbo for a few years now, although there has been recent discussion of starting it back up if we get more volunteers. Unfortunately I currently lack time to prepare the certificates, and we would need additional volunteer(s) to screen the applications. As for the 20 cubic inch (volume) size limit for Ultralight Radio classification, it is still in effect for North America, although Jorge Garzon of Spain has requested that it be changed in favor of a "portable" designation for a new European Awards program, which is fine with me. For quite a while we have welcomed any portable radio user to report his loggings on this site, and I personally have no problem sharing all of our group's resources with any portable radio user worldwide. Some of the newer portables like the XHDATA D-808 have  a size very close to the 20 cubic inch limit, but slightly exceed it. I still use both the XHDATA D-808 and CC Skywave side by side in all-out transoceanic DXing on the ocean coast, and it doesn't really bother me that one of them isn't an official "Ultralight." :-)

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)