Re: dead CC Skywave followed by recovery

daiche

Hi Nick and all! I may be able to shed some light on the radio problem. Here In Grants Pass, OR I have two HP MW stations, 10KW and 5KW, just 2+ miles away on a river bottom. During the day and sometimes at night, the RF level is high enough to blank out/mute the audio, sometimes completely on all of my digital portables. I have a CCrane 2E and Skywave SSB, an XHDATA D808 and an ETON Elite radio that all have this problem. This appears to be a common problem for all of them, that if the RF level is too high, they start shutting down their audio and sometimes completely muting, making you think they are dead. Depending on RF levels you can sometime rotate a radio and null the RF source getting the audio to at least partly restore slowly. The muting, when it happens, seems to lock on until the RF source goes away, perhaps protecting the front end of the radios. It has always made it very hard to compare performance or DX at post-sunrise or pre-sunset, without getting away from the Grants Pass area 20-30 miles. That problem even shows up here with My ELAD SW2 and G33DDC radios during the day if I aim my 1530LN loop toward the two stations that seem to be on the same tower or at least in the same field. Of course this is made worse using an amplified antenna or FSL, which further aggravates the problem.

Dave Aichelman     N7NZH     Grants Pass, Oregon