Re: dead CC Skywave followed by recovery

Gary DeBock

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 06:27 PM, Nick Hall-Patch wrote:
Has anyone run into such a problem as this?

I was lucky enough to spend some time in Malawi about six weeks ago, and took along a CC Skywave for some of the more adventurous portions of the trip, intending to get an idea of the AM and FM bands there, away from city noise.     Unfortunately, it didn't work.   It would switch on OK, indicate and tune frequencies, but, dead quiet.   Tried replacing the batteries, but still, no signals.
Nick,

I'm very sorry that your CC Skywave chose such an awful time to come down with issues. In general, the radio has a high reliability record, and I have used it repeatedly during exotic overseas trips to places like the Cook Islands, Hong Kong and Hawaii.  Both the stock and SSB Skywave models have a "Reset" button on the bottom of the cabinet-- did you try this in Malawi?

<<<   The radio had been packed in checked luggage.   Is there any known failure for radios like this from whatever they use to scan checked luggage these days?   (We had also been over some rough roads in Malawi previous to discovering this, though it had been reasonably securely packed, I thought.)
Would be happy to hear any ideas, so that I don't have such a disappointment in the future.   >>>

The only suggestions that I could make, Nick, are to always pack any radio gear in hand-carry luggage, and always carry along a backup radio on exotic vacations like this. The travel bumps, heat and humidity in places like Malawi are notorious for enhancing Murphy's Law, and you need to assume that the worst will happen, and be ready for it. A backup radio will keep you in the game. Any local DXer going on such an exotic trip is more than welcome to any of the "supercharged" Ultralights here, which have been provided to Walt, Colin, Bruce, Pete, Phil, Chris and many others.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)