Re: Mini-FSL for CCrane Skywave

Gary DeBock

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 09:50 AM, Les Rayburn wrote:
I’m the proud owner of a “Mini-FSL” antenna that is attached to a Tecsun PL-380 that works very well for portable DXing. But I prefer the ergonomic touches of the CCrane Skywave model especially in regards to tuning. My focus isn’t on TA or TP signals, but rather domestic DXing.

Has anyone modified a CCrane Skywave to add an external FSL antenna? Wondering if it might benefit from the addition of the FSL and how difficult the modification might be.
Hi Les,

Back during the 3" FSL Tecsun PL-380 experimentation in 2016 I did transplant the same 3" FSL antenna into a couple of C.Crane Skywave models, but the higher RF levels "smoked" the Skywaves' Si4735 DSP chips. The Tecsun PL-380 uses a different (Si4734) DSP chip, which is why it can handle the higher RF levels from the hard-wired FSL antenna (in place of the stock loopstick).

Although I have a pretty generous experimental budget, destroying the pricey CC Skywaves was definitely not part of the master plan, and they have since been excused from the hard-wired FSL mission.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)