Re: 2021 Radio Challenges and ocean cliff effect?

Gary DeBock

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 12:55 AM, Jorge Garzón wrote:
What I heard? Please, check this:
https://twitter.com/FMDXIreland/status/1348771038067372035?s=19

And Gary, now I add... Is this a tiny ocean Cliff effect? And yes, the cliff was facing west 🤷🏻‍♂️

73!
Wow Jorge,

1280-CFMB really is awesome ocean cliff DX for such a late time in the morning on the Spanish coast!

To be honest, though, I have personally experienced so many unusual receptions on the Rockwork ocean cliff in Oregon (facing both Southwest to New Zealand, and west to Asia) that I'm not really surprised at these freakish receptions. For example, because of challenging propagation it is extremely rare for any MW station from India to be received on the USA west coast (I think that the last one before October was about 10 years ago, with Patrick Martin's reception of 864-AIR in Shillong). But a tiny 6 inch (15cm) FSL not only provided reception of 675-AIR at the Rockwork 2 cliff in October, but also 576-Myanmar and 594-Myanmar, all on a C.Crane Skywave Ultralight.

I hope you will continue to investigate the ocean cliffs on the Spanish coast, Jorge, especially with Ultralight radios around sunrise. I'm sure that you will enjoy many more astonishing receptions!

73, Gary