2021 Radio Challenges and ocean cliff effect?

Jorge Garzón

Hi Paul and others,
While I was reading your post, a new challenge came to my mind. Something that could be both interesting and rewarding: logging MW stations during daytime: from (local) sunrise to (local) sunset times. That's all!

Propagation is a kind of mistery (well, in fact not all); the first one and a half hour after sunrise and before sunset can be very, very special.

Before yesterday I was parked over some ocean cliffs, not the highest ones we have, but about 40 m high. It was 10am in the morning with the sun in the sky, and I was in the car (was windy outside) zapping UK MW stations as they reach the Northern Spanish shore quite well in the mornings. I checked 1278 kHz and I heard quite a strong signal with lounge music. It faded down quickly after 25 sec, but came back a minute later for a minute more, weakest but well audible. After that, dissapeared in the noise. Maybe not the second burst but I am pretty sure that the first and shorter one would have been heard in an ULR/portable radio. I just had the autoradio, regular selectivity, fixed 9kHz steps, small roof antenna, but quite sensitive.

What I heard? Please, check this:
https://twitter.com/FMDXIreland/status/1348771038067372035?s=19

And Gary, now I add... Is this a tiny ocean Cliff effect? And yes, the cliff was facing west 🤷🏻‍♂️

73!

Jorge Garzón Gutiérrez "IberiaDX"
(EB7EFA · EA1036 SWL · BDXC Member 1409)
QTH: IN83ag / 43º15' N · 03º56' W
Urb. San Roque 95, casa 5 (Villasevil)
39698 Santiurde de Toranzo (ESPAÑA - SPAIN)
Blog: IberiaDX  · Twitter: @IberiaDX

En martes, 12 de enero de 2021 23:00:01 CET, Paul Blundell <tanger32au@...> escribió:

That is a good idea, once I have completed the 50kw's I might try for some of the lower power ones.

Paul

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 4:41 AM Peter Laws <plaws0@...> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:28 AM Peter Laws via groups.io
<plaws0=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

> Lol!  I had the same idea! Used the Mesa Mike list (http://mesamike.org/radio/cdbs/amdb.mvc ).

The Topazdesigns site is my go-to for station info because it includes
stations in Canada.  I couldn't recall why I used Mesa Mike for this
listing but just remembered - the former won't list ALL stations while
the latter will!   I cut and pasted the whole list into a spreadsheet,
then sorted by Night Power then frequency and chopped off everything
below 25 kW at night (not *technically* throwing flames but I'm more
likely to hear them instead of a 10 kW (only 15 listings with night
power at 25 kW or above and less than 50 kW - 94 at a Full 50 kW).