Re: Final revision ULR DX Challenge 2020

Gary DeBock

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021 at 11:05 AM, Jorge Garzón wrote:
I've already finished to revisite my Ross DX Challenge log and finally I have listened a total of 402 stations, but just identified 378 of them, so this is the final number: 378.

I've been really surprised for the achievement that I never could imagine before (and I am a DX'er since the 80's). It's rewarding, exciting and very interesting indeed. Thank you very much to all of you to show me this particular way to keep enjoying DXing together with my SDR and table receivers.

Hello Again Jorge,

Thank you for sharing the details of your amazing Ross DX Challenge results, and also for introducing us to your other radio DXing activities as described in your Iberia DX website.

We are always happy when an experienced DXer like you discovers the unique challenge and thrills of pocket radio DXing. This trend has been going on in North America, Europe and Japan for quite some time, along with some notable interest in Australia and New Zealand. South American DXers seem to be especially intrigued by the ferrite antenna experimentation, and hobbyists around the world now have a new option to enjoy long range DXing excitement.

On your Iberia DX website I noticed that you also have interest in Longwave DXing for distant NDB's (aeronautical beacons). Actually, there is a branch of Ultralight radio DXing that is related to this, where we use Longwave-optimized FSL antennas and Longwave-optimized radio loopsticks to chase very distant NDB's. An example was last summer, where an ocean cliff on the Oregon state coast provided reception of two very low powered New Zealand NDB's   https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/mj6i4e4sg9j9gd54273nb35gb8r555fo
These were 362-WK in Whakatane, New Zealand (25 watts at 11,017 km) and 366-SF in Springfield, New Zealand (50 watts at 10,977 km). These were received at local sunrise on a 7.5 inch Longwave loopstick Tecsun PL-380 Ultralight radio, assisted by a 12 inch Longwave FSL. This kind of DXing is very fascinating, since the NDB's are continually broadcasting ID's, and you only need to receive one good ID for DXing success.

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)