Re: Challenges

Gary DeBock

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 01:48 PM, Pedro Porres wrote:
What challenges do you propose to start me on the medium wave? I just got a Sangean Dt-250 as a gift and I'm testing it. Thank you.
Hello Pedro, Jorge and all,

Ultralight radio DXing is full of exciting challenges, and I've very happy that European DXers are having renewed interest in the sport. Even Steve Whitt (the editor of Medium Wave News in the U.K.) has recently been pushing his luck chasing North American TA"s around sunrise with his 19cm loopstick Tecsun PL-380 model.

There are certain Ultralight radio challenges which require great propagation and enhanced antennas, but most members of our group have lots of fun simply chasing DX stations with a "stock" pocket radio. Around sunrise and sunset you can usually find some distant stations because of enhanced propagation, and if you become skillful in this type of DXing, you can always upgrade your antennas to provide even more excitement. Some lucky Ultralight radio DXers live near an ocean beach where they can easily receive transoceanic DX, but most of us need to do the best we can with inland locations, many interfering stations and RFI noise. Even with these challenges you can often receive a lot of interesting DX, and if you really get "hooked" on the hobby (like me), you can take vacations on prime ocean beaches during peak propagation periods.

There are different levels of antenna gain to boost Ultralight radio reception, including the relatively new FSL (ferrite sleeve loop) antennas, which provide amazing tuned gain for their size. A detailed article explaining how these different ferrite antennas perform is posted at the following link. Welcome again to our group, and good luck in your DXing!  https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/kp487ahn3wm3dd7rkb6thvddyt7wixgb

73, Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)
Ultralight Group Co-Founder