Batteries in Series - Different mAh Ratings

Paul Blundell

Hi all.

Going back 20+ years, my memory of college electronics was that for two batteries in series, you add the voltage and the current is whatever the batteries are rated for. This would mean that 2 x 1.2V NiMh cells @ 2000mAh would give you 2.4V @ 2000mAh.

My question is what happens if you have 2 x 1.2V NiMh cells, one @ 1000mAh and one @ 2000mAh in series, do you end up with 2.4V @ 1500mAh or is it not that simple? What if one was a NiMh cell and the other was an alkaline cell? I am trying to work out and issue and I think this might be a part of it.