Re: Building a FSL antenna

Gary DeBock

On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 02:21 AM, Jorge Garzón wrote:
Well, I have ordered whatever I need for my 5" inches FSL but the Litz wire. Jist a question... Do I need 40 inches or 40 feet. I am not used to imperial units system and I do not want to get confused with 'inches', 'feet' or their symbols like ' " etc...
Stay healthy!
Hello Again Jorge,

40 feet (12.2m) of Litz wire will be enough to wind the coil on a 5 inch (12.7cm) diameter FSL antenna.
It will actually be enough to wind the coil for almost any diameter of FSL antenna, since the smaller FSL's simply have more coil turns to result in the same approximate inductance.

One important thing to remember is that proper tinning and soldering of 1162/46 Litz wire requires a very hot soldering iron or gun, with at least 60 watts of power. This is necessary to thoroughly melt the solder throughout each individual Litz wire strand on both ends of the coil. This process generates quite a lot of unhealthy solder smoke, so it's best to do this soldering outside your house, with a fan to blow the smoke away as you make the connections.

73, Gary