Re: Sunday (6-1) Ultralight DXpedition to Grayland, WA

Gary DeBock

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your comments on my report.

I have lots of mp3's pf DU audio fading in and out, especially after yesterday, hi.  But at least in my own procedure, carrier strength is checked in SSB by tuning slightly off frequency, and observing the strength of the resulting heterodyne (on an SSB-equipped receiver like the 2010).  Split-frequency DXers learn to judge how strong the heterodyne (and carrier) need to be, before they can hope for audio.

The actual audio recording, however, is always made on the station's exact frequency.  If a carrier is strong enough, there should be some audio on the frequency.  The actual mp3 recording will only have the station's audio (strong, weak or non-existent), not the heterodyne used to check carrier strength.

For Ultralight radios stuck in the AM mode, there is no way to easily check carrier strength, like the SSB-equipped 2010 can do.  This is why most Ultralight transoceanic DXers use an SSB-eqipped "spotting receiver" like the 2010, R8, E1 or others, to "organize" their search for Ultralight DX targets.  These receivers can easily check 10 or more memory frequencies in a minute, to direct Ultralight radios to the most promising frequencies.

73,  Gary.   

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.