October 2020 Rockwork 2 Asia TP-DXpedition Article

Gary DeBock

In mid-October my wife and I made a four day ocean beach trip to Manzanita, Oregon-- which by sneaky plan just happened to be only 2 miles (3 km) away from the Rockwork ocean cliff complex. I had another sneaky plan in the works-- test out Asian TP-DXing at the Rockwork 2 plunging cliff, which has an Asia-directed face as well as a DU-directed face. Helicopter and drone photos had revealed that this Rockwork 2 cliff had an outstanding sea level cove at its base facing Asia, just like the Rockwork 4 cliff has such a cove facing New Zealand. Was this Rockwork 2 cliff another prime DXing venue waiting to be discovered, offering enhanced Asian reception like Rockwork 4's enhanced Kiwi reception?

To test out this theory I chased Asian DX at Rockwork 2 for all four days with a couple of very small 6 inch (15cm) FSL antennas and "supercharged" portables. By blind luck, the dates chosen (October 14-17) turned out to feature some of the best Asian propagation of the entire DX season, and by some more blind luck, Walt was up in Masset at the same time, so we could compare notes on exotic DX catches. With the ocean cliff boost the tiny live DXing gear pulled off some serious stunners, tracking down 576-Myanmar (language confirmed by C. K. Raman), 594-Myanmar (// 576, which Walt also was able to do in Masset), 675-AIR in Itanagar, India (confirmed by the announcer), and probable reception of 729-Myanmar and 918-Cambodia. The entire experience seemed like something straight out of a science fiction novel. A 12-page article describing this very first Rockwork 2 Asian DXpedition is posted at the following link, including 96 Asian TP-DX recording links from 76 different Asian stations, as well as multiple photos and a description of the theory behind the DXpedition. The "Asia Cliff" provides a fascinating new option for DXers with a sense of adventure!
https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/nindb6n19ed8v7ow1o69hchxps94eb7e

Gary DeBock (DXing at the Rockwork 2 ocean cliff from October 14-17)
Puyallup, WA, USA