Re: Local Power Lines and DXing

Paul Blundell

Thanks Phil.

I think your experience is much the same as everybody else, with more and more RF noise coming from everyday appliances.

Paul

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 2:18 AM Phillip Fimiani via groups.io <myamiphil=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I've had several interesting investigative challenges since moving into my new house. Its loaded of course with lots of QRM. Even in the audio range. I once chased an intermittent alarm after moths only to find out it was my weather radio out in the garage! (a std weekly test!).

Or a refrigerator and a small freezer that lays against the wall and vibrates when it shuts down and you here it in the walls!!

But radio wise QRM is rampant. Anything with a wall wart or even a power supply is suspect. I have switched to LED lamps in the house for energy savings, but even the old halogens under the kitchen cabinets are noisy! Then you have the computer controlled appliances, stoves, ovens, washers, dryers.  Unless the product has a CE approval or the later UL 544 compliance etc, its going to be a noise source. And many cheap products fall into that category.

There was an issue a while back with industrial grade grow lamps. Being in an industrial area, it didn't matter. But when people started buying them to grow there "plants" at home, they were horrible RF radiators, and the FCC and the DEA didn't have a hard time finding the illegal culprits!

Then you have the power line carrier transmissions! Not the power itself, but the digital information it carries! Ask any techy in England. I don't know about the rest of Europe. But here too, my electric meter is remote read, another PLC.

Recently the town just installed an improved remote reader for my water meter. We have drive by meter readings... A little antenna now sticks out of the buried water meter!

My power lines are buried, as are any new housing development. Along with every other service coming to the house. Then there's the sprinkler system and its controller for the lawn...

My 2 HVAC heat pumps in the attic where I want to put my antennas for transmit (QRP) and receive...

The list goes on and on...

But the large AC power transformer locations are not near me, except of course for the transformer in my front yard! (;-(. I'm not so much concerned about the local QRM as I am about the house QRM. Maybe smaller in energy but more stronger and annoying to my listening.

Someday I'll make a DF antenna and search my property... LOLOL.. Ill have to buy up lots of ferrite beads!

Mortimer says "Stay Safe"
Best Regards
Phil
KD2HTN / WA2069SWL
Long: 34.210293 Lat:-78.057048
FM04xf 30dl

On Monday, December 7, 2020, 6:34:50 AM EST, radiojayallen <radiojayallen@...> wrote:

Yes, you can walk around your neighborhood and listen. And driving around you will hear how the noise from overhead lines varies. Living in an area with underground utilities is the best scenario and I have been lucky enough to have that both in my old home and in the new one.

I do have one strange noise source in my new house I haven't figured out yet but luckily it is infrequent. On parts of the AM band I will hear a squeal which almost totally blanks out medium strength stations on 590 and 630 KHz but it only seems to happen once or perhaps twice a day for about 2 minutes. Some days I never hear it. Makes it tough to isolate...really odd though.

--
73
Phil