Re: Local Power Lines and DXing

radiojayallen

Yes, you can walk around your neighborhood and listen. And driving around you will hear how the noise from overhead lines varies. Living in an area with underground utilities is the best scenario and I have been lucky enough to have that both in my old home and in the new one.

I do have one strange noise source in my new house I haven't figured out yet but luckily it is infrequent. On parts of the AM band I will hear a squeal which almost totally blanks out medium strength stations on 590 and 630 KHz but it only seems to happen once or perhaps twice a day for about 2 minutes. Some days I never hear it. Makes it tough to isolate...really odd though.