Re: Building a FSL antenna

Gary DeBock

Dear Jorge (and all),

Thank you for your interest in FSL antenna construction and operation. A good introductory article for those DXers thinking about using an FSL antenna is posted at https://dxer.ca/articles/92-gary-debock

Since FSL antennas are not currently manufactured commercially, most DXers make their own. A guide to how different construction materials result in different gain performance is posted at https://dreamcrafts.box.com/s/mr7aec2o4fid5u4dc48xz0t6u9uto8xh

There are some specific FSL antenna designs for both Longwave and Medium Wave frequencies, or both. Some FSL antenna designs are posted in our photo section. There are also some construction articles posted in our file section for the 3.5 inch, 5 inch and 7 inch FSL antennas.

FSL antenna materials (especially multiple ferrite bars or rods) are relatively expensive in comparison to cheap wire antennas, so these antennas have always been relatively scarce. Their DXing performance is awesome for their compact size, however, which is why I always use them on ocean coast (and ocean cliff) DXpeditions. Most recently, a tiny 6 inch (15cm) diameter FSL model ran wild in long range Asian MW station reception on the Oregon coast.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)