Re: Hobbies in Public Areas

Gary DeBock

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 01:03 PM, Steve Whitt wrote:

Hi Paul

I found that ferrite rods can scare people when I tried to put one of Gary’s  hot rodded ultralights through carry-on luggage at the airport.

The xray scanner couldn’t see through the ferrite and the staff were very worried that I was carrying a gun!

73

Steve

Hi Steve,

Airport security inspectors have many quirks, and the same inspector that quickly passes a 5 inch FSL through security may blow the whistle on a 7.5 inch loopstick. Individual airports also have their own quirks, and when huge crowds pass through security it usually results in less extensive searches.

It usually helps to bring along an amateur radio license, any supporting documentation like a (well worn) construction manual or photos of the antenna in a hobby article. Most of the security inspectors are just looking for any evidence that the antenna and/ or DXer is not subversive, since confiscation of a harmless article will not add to their professional resume.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)