Historic WNJC 1360 DX Test

Les Rayburn

Listened for the entire first hour, and despite phasing, multiple antennas, and every trick I know—not a beep of audio tonight.

Set up for the 2nd hour, ready to decode FT8. Within the first two minutes, I had a successful decode! This at 886 miles without a trace of audio in the headphones. By the 20 minute mark, I had three successful decodes. USB seemed to work better here, but I got successful decodes in AM mode at 5 kHz bandwidth as well.

Rig was my Icom IC-7300 with an end fed wire, up about 40 feet.

FT-8 is amazing. Duke—I gotta get a QSL for this one! History in the making.

73,

Les Rayburn, N1LF
121 Mayfair Park
Maylene, AL 35114
EM63nf

NRC & IRCA Courtesy Program Committee Chairman
Member WTFDA, MWC

Perseus SDR, Elad FDM-S2 SDR, AirSpy + Discovery, SDRPlay RSP-2 Pro, Sony XDR-F1HD [XDR Guy Modified], Dennon TU-1500RD, Sangean HDT-1X, Ray Dees RDS Decoders, Korner 9.2 Antenna, FM-6 Antenna, Kitz Technologies KT-501 Pre-amps, Quantum Phaser, Wellbrook ALA1530 Loop, Wellbrook Flag, Clifton Labs Active Whip.

“Nothing but blues and Elvis, and somebody else’s favorite song…”