Re: Review - Digitech AR-1780 Multi-band Radio Receiver - battery choice

Mark Roberts

I will just describe my experience with the 18650 batteries in these units. Both radios were purchased from the Israeli reseller who, for a while, was the only source of these radios for United States buyers.

Stock "XHDATA" branded battery, 2000 mAh. One can't hold a charge at all; the other is the best-behaved of all the batteries I've tried. Still, it needs recharging about every 3 weeks even if it isn't otherwise used.

"UltraFire" (an unfortunate name considering the history of lithium-ion batteries), 2600 mAh. Could not hold a charge as long as the XHDATA-branded battery. I am using an UltraFire battery in one of my XHDATA radios. It needs a charge about every week and a half, even if not used.

"Internova", 2000 mAh. Worst performer, on average: holds a charge for about a week.

Those latter two brands were purchased from Amazon.

I have other radios that use the BL-5C battery (Radiwow R-108, Tivdio V-115). They can hold a charge for months.

I also just purchased a Tecsun ICR-110, with a Tecsun-branded 2000 mAh 18650 battery. So far, so good, but I've only had it for a few days.

As for the battery indicator on the XHDATA model: it may be inaccurate, but it doesn't matter for the on/off switch: once it's flat, it's flat. Fortunately, the XHDATA stores station memories in non-volatile data. The inconvenience in this case is having to turn the beep off again once the radio is revived, and having to reset the clock. But I'm finding it tiresome to keep watching this. That's too bad, for there are many good things to say about this model.

I have two Digitech AR-1780s and their battery indicators seem to be just fine, for 4 AA alkaline cells - always the Eveready brand; I've had issues with Duracells being leaky.

On Sun, Jul 19, 2020 at 11:33 AM Rémy Friess <rfriess@...> wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

But now I'm at a loss. What kind of battery should I buy?

Certainly not the original 2000 mAh type that came with the receiver. It doesn't last long enough.

Even less so the (genuine???) Panasonic 3400 mAh type. I actually disposed of that one because it would get burning hot each time I charged it and it would have caused harm to the receiver eventually.

And I have had a similar problem with a Nikon camera and a Philips cordless phone, both with "genuine" batteries.

Do you really think that batteries that bear a famous brand name are any better than the cheap ones?

Sony, Panasonic and the likes have them manufactured by the same Chinese companies that do the cheap ones.

When they reach the end-user there are only 2 differences 1/ a different brand name 2/ a much higher price tag.

But they are the same crap as all the others. If you are lucky you get one that works allright, if not, well, it was just bad luck.

Le 19/07/2020 à 19:22, Phil Pasteur a écrit :
Hello  Rémy,
I am glad that the cell works for you, but something does not compute. There are a large number of  reviews and videos of take downs of  cells like this and they all agree that the cells do not come close to meeting the claims .
The top end of reputable 18650 cells claim and measure close to 3600 mAh. This from companies that have spent millions developing the best processes to make them reach this level.
I would make one suggestion to you, be very careful with that cell. If you have a choice with your charger, charge at a low rate. I would not like to hear that you had a failure  where the battery vents with flame and ruins your charger or radio, or burns down your house. These things have happened to people using junk batteries and/or charging them improperly. Charging safely requires knowledge of the true specifications of the battery. Since it is clear that the Chinese are lying about these cells, we can't make any decisions about how to treat them.
If you are happy with the battery, great, I would prefer that others do not read this thread and think that this kind of cell is anything other than junk.
I suggest you read some of the posts here if you believe that I am exaggerating the risks.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?107-Smoke-and-Fire-Hot-Cells-and-Close-Calls-The-dangerous-side-of-batteries

If you want to check out what people found  when testing and tearing down cells like the one you mention, look at some of the videos and test reports here.
https://www.google.com/search?q=9900+mAh+battery+test&oq=9900&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j69i61j69i60l2.4543j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Again, if you are happy with the battery, OK!
But there has to be a variable that we are not considering, and I just hope no one comes away thinking that those things are anything other than to be avoided at all costs.

Be careful!

Phil