Re: Review - Digitech AR-1780 Multi-band Radio Receiver - battery choice

Rémy Friess

Hi Phil,

Well, I've also had a battery by Panasonic, I think it was rated at 3400. I had initially bought it for the Tecsun PL-880, but I have also used it in the XHDATA.

It would last about 4 hours. The original battery being a 2000 mAh type and lasting 2½ hours, this is coherent.

The 9900 mAh battery I have has now been used in the XHDATA for a little less than 11 hours and is still going strong.

So either the orignal battery and the one from Panasonic were junk, or the tests that you refer to are not accurate. I don't know.

Regards, Rémy.

Le 18/07/2020 à 19:47, Phil Pasteur a écrit :

[Edited Message Follows]

Hello  Rémy Friess,
I became curious whne I saw this 9900 mAh battery so I found some tests by several people. I was curious because I use many 18650 batteries and am always looking for something with higher capacity. In short the batteries like the ones you mention tested  at only a fraction of the listed capacity. In all cases they were under 1000 mAh.
I can only guess that if the 9900 battery is giving you more run time, the original had to be a very bad cell. I think that if you got a  genuine cell from LG, Samsung, Sony or Panasonic/Sanyo rated at 3400 to 3600 mAh you would get better run times than with the 9900 mAh rated cell.
A good one would be the
NCR18650G  by Panasonic. But there are others depending on if you need a button top or flat top and with or without  a protection PCB. If you stick with one of the big  4 and buy from a  reputable dealer (does not sell Chinese knockoffs)  you will be much better of than buying no-name batteries with ridiculous ratings from some place like Ebay.

BTW, In this context "genuine" means that actual capacity in real use and/or testing matches what is advertised for the cell in question. for the 9900 mAh battery this is not true, therefor it is not considered genuine.