Re: How best to inexpensively clean degraded variable caps?

daiche

Hi Steve and all!

I first tried DeOxit D5, with a spray alcohol rinse afterwards and lastly spray air to dry off the residue. I have also tried spray alcohol by itself, which seemed to work fine by too. I always used spray air to blow off residue afterwards.

As far as what the residue is, could be salt spray, especially for those who hangout at ocean cliffside locations. I was thinking more the type of crude found in typical city pollution, which gets into everything over time and leaves a film. I will leave it to the chemists among us to figure out how it affects variable capacitors, but it seems to affect the Q, dulling the response. Sounds like we need a drive-thru capacitor washing service. I am sure there is lots of money to be made there, to freshen those dull variable capacitors! Your mileage may vary, depending on where you live and hangout. Ha!

Dave Aichelman     N7NZH     Grants Pass, Oregon