Re: Gary's New 6" FSL Design

Gary DeBock

On Thu, Jul 2, 2020 at 08:09 AM, Gord Seifert wrote:
Hi guys. I am mainly a lurker here but this post forces me to ask a question. If the Q of the 1162 strand Litz is bordering on too high, why not use 660? The price of 100 ft. of 660 is about the same as 60 ft. of the 1162. The description of the 660 lists ridiculous Q numbers, even with about half the strands, although I have no idea how that would directly compare to the 1162 since he doesn't mention testing Q with 1162. Nor do I know how they would compare when used to create an FSL.
Hi Gord (and Todd),

Todd, thanks for your interest and questions about the new 6" FSL design, which I plan to answer in detail within a day or so.

Gord, 660/46 Litz wire was actually used in all of the most sensitive medium wave FSL antenna designs from 2011 until 2014, when the new 1162/46 Litz wire first became available. As such, all of the DXpedition FSL's (and long range AM-DX results) from 2011-2014 were based on this Litz wire.

After the new 1162/46 Litz wire became available in 2014 it was substituted for the 660/46 Litz wire in a few FSL test models here, and direct A/B signal test comparisons were made on weak signals received by otherwise identical FSL models. The 1162/46 Litz wire models always significantly outperformed the 660/46 models in weak signal reception, to the extent that 660/46 Litz wire was never again used in any of my new FSL designs. The new 1162/46 Litz wire has been one of deciding factors in the success of the new "Frequent Flyer" overseas DXpedition FSL models, which have received AM-DX at over 8,000 miles in places like Hawaii and the Cook Islands.

Of course the high cost of 1162/46 Litz wire is a drawback for many experimenters, not to mention the 60-watt soldering iron required for proper installation. 660/46 Litz wire will certainly be more sensitive than 330/46 Litz wire or something smaller, and unless a fanatical DXer needs the best possible reception in the smallest possible FSL (like for overseas traveling), 660/46 Litz wire is acceptable for most hobbyists. I have never run "Q" tests to compare the performance difference between 1162/46 and 660/46 Litz wire, but the audio signal reception difference between the two was clear enough to make a permanent believer out of this FSL fanatic. If you have any doubts about its performance, feel free to watch the 3" Baby FSL demo video, where it boosts an S3 fringe signal into an S9+ overload  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZtYli09mTg&t

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)