Gary's New 6" FSL Design

Todd

Hi Gary,

Your new 6 inch FSL is a step towards higher gain in a relatively small package. I look forward to a YouTube review.

Regarding 1162/46 Litz wire used in the 6" FSL, what is the cheapest source of supply that you have found so far?

On AU eBay, 1162/46 Litz wire is quite expensive. Assuming 19 turns in your design, when I build one, there should be at least 1 or 2 extra turns to allow ferrite rod permeability variation.

21(6 x 3.1416) = 396 inches or 33 feet of wire.

The cheapest 1162/46 Litz wire on AU eBay is US $88 for 60 feet. No smaller minimum 33 feet length is available.

With tank coil Q > 500, the bandwidth will average only 2 KHz or less. The audio fidelity will be compromised as a result. Resonant tuning peak will also be sharper. Higher Q = narrower RF signal bandwidth, degraded high frequency audio response, but high signal strength when tuned to resonance.

During the process of testing various early design FSLs, what did you find by using lower resistance wires regarding varying degrees of S/N readability, bandwidth, and audio quality? For an air core loop with 1000 Q, the audio will be quite muffled at 531 KHz.

Regards,

Todd

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Litz-wire-1162-46-for-Amateur-Crystal-Radio-coil-Single-layer-insulation-60/153541573281?hash=item23bfca7aa1:g:aT0AAOxyTjNSdFlQ