Re: New Parts for FSL and Air Core PVC Loop Antennas

Chuck

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 03:40 PM, Gary DeBock wrote:
If it were me, and if I was cutting the expensive 1162/46 Litz wire to make an FSL coil, even if the Chinese manufacturer says that their ferrite rods are the same (400) permeability as the ones I used, I would cut the 1162/46 Litz wire a couple of extra turns longer than what I did for my existing (Russian surplus ferrite rods) FSL, to account for differences in manufacturing tolerances and measurements.

Otherwise you would need to splice the Litz wire, if you cut a coil too short (to tune down to 530 kHz). Splicing Litz wire is never recommended, since each individual Litz wire strand is designed to have its own performance potential throughout the entire length of the coil.
Gary,
I'll definitely take your advice and cut the wire long by a few turns for experimentation.
And I'm assuming full turns only -- that partial turn winding (like 27.5) aren't valid.
Best,
Chuck