Re: New Parts for FSL and Air Core PVC Loop Antennas

Gary DeBock

On Tue, May 26, 2020 at 10:01 AM, Chuck wrote:
Gary,
Thank so much for that, I'm glad you've already had success with the very design I'm building!

I did obtain the 140mm x 8mm rods from a different source since sufficient quantity wasn't available from the eBay seller.
https://www.rf-microwave.com/en/ferrite-rods/171/

These are Chinese made rods sold by an Italian company.
Chuck,

Thanks for the additional information about the Chinese-made 140mm x 8mm ferrite rods.

Unfortunately, since my  own FSL was constructed with the Russian surplus ferrite rods ordered from a seller in the Ukraine ("alexer1" on eBay), the coil turn information that I gave you may not apply to a an FSL constructed with Chinese rods. The number of coil turns is related to the permeability of the ferrite rods, and Chinese-made rods typically have significantly different permeability than either Russian surplus or Amidon ferrite rods. So you will probably need to fine tune your own antenna's FSL coil because of the Chinese-made ferrite rods. Sorry!

If a DXer uses the exact same components that I did for my FSL antenna then he would be able to simply construct it in an
identical way, and probably come away with identical performance.

73, Gary