Re: Tecsun PL-310 vs PL-380

Richard Allen <dx747j@...>

From: "Richard N. Allen" <dx747j@...>
Date: May 18, 2020 at 08:50:44 CDT
To: "Gary DeBock via groups.io" <D1028Gary@...>
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] Tecsun PL-310 vs PL-380

I still occasionally use my PL-310 and PL-380.  Both are of the originally incarnation of the receivers.  When new the PL-310 was unbeatable for receiving Asian stations barefoot.  It offered selectivity not seen in earlier handheld receivers, and had a slight edge over the PL-380 in receiving weak signals.  However, when used in conjunction with a FSL antenna the PL-380 shined.  The evidence is my reception of station 3LO at 14592 km (9067 miles) on a PL-380 with an 8-inch FSL in 2016.

But, because the controls on the Tecsun receivers became trickier to use over time I turned to using a Skywave receiver.  It is every bit as good as the Tecsuns with fewer of their problems.   It works well when coupled to a FSL or Wellbrook ALA1530LNP antenna.  Last winter I was able to add three new Japanese stations to my log and again hear 2BL on the Skywave.  Overall, it’s the best URL presently available.

Good DX all.

Richard Allen,
near Perry OK USA

_,_._,_