Re: Tecsun PL-310 vs PL-380

Gary DeBock

On Sun, May 17, 2020 at 03:09 PM, jcfontario wrote:
I have a CC Skywave portable radio, but I am not familiar with what a "supercharged" Skywave receiver has that I don't have. What do I need to add to my travel portable?
Hi John,

A "supercharged" Skywave refers to a model with a 7.5 inch transplanted loopstick. This modification greatly increases MW band sensitivity compared to the stock CC Skywave, transforming the radio into something like a dream travel portable.

Unfortunately, the technical procedure for creating this "dream travel portable" is somewhat of a nightmare. The Skywave portable is extremely compact, and crammed with components which fit together like a twisted puzzle. In addition, the RF circuit board connections for the loopstick Litz wire leads are in the worst possible place for this type of modification, making the entire procedure a very demanding test of close-order soldering, sharp eyesight and steady nerves. For this reason the modification procedure has never been written up in article form, although about 5 of these models have been constructed and given to friends in the US, Japan and Australia.

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)