Re: Tecsun PL-310 vs PL-380

Nick B.

By 310 I presume you mean the PL-310ET, which is the model currently available.

I own three of the cheaper Tecsun DSP models – PL-310ET, PL-380 and PL-606. Out of the three, the PL-310ET is the worst performer on MW (AM Broadcast band). It seems prone to pickup from the internal electronics and weaker stations which are audible on the other two sets are buried in the noise on the 310ET (at my location that’s 558, 648, 873, 1152). On LW it is practically unusable.

The PL-310ET and PL-606 have an external antenna jack, although this is only used for SW and FM.

If you look in the files section here there is an article by Laurie Mann in section 6 showing how to use the spare contacts on the jack to connect an external loopstick, disconnecting the internal one. I’ve carried out that mod on mine this week, using an external 10-inch loopstick which was recovered from an older 1970s set. I’m very happy with the results so far, all I need to do now is figure out how to package up the loopstick to protect it from damage. The loopstick has two coils, MW and LW, the longwave performance is now like having a whole new radio.

I’ve shared my mods at https://nickb333.blogspot.com/search/label/PL-310ET I'll upload them to the file section if they are of ineterest to group members.

Thanks for all the useful information I've found here in the past.

73

Nick G4IRX

Nottingham/UK