Head to Head Testing - TEAC PR130 v FleaMarket FMRAD2

Paul Blundell

Recently I have purchased a large A/B audio switch box, this is being used for direct audio / signal testing of various radios.

I have mounted this in a large case and have run two 3.5mm audio cables out the back to connect to my radios.

My testing process with the below was to tune both the TEAC Pr130 and FleaMarket FMRAD2 to the same strong local FM station and then adjust the volume levels of each to be as close as possible to identical. I then search the band with each radio and tuned them to the same stations at the same time, using the A/B audio switch box, I then compared the signal levels and audio quality between each.

The results are below.

FREQUENCY - STATION
TEAC PR130
FMRAD2
95.3MHz - TAMAR FM

96.9MHz - MEANDER VALLEY FM

98.9MHz - 7AD

100.5MHz - ABC DEVONPORT

100.9MHz - 7BU

101.7MHz - SEA FM BURNIE
106.9MHz - RPH RADIO

107.7MHz - SEA FM DEVONPORT

As you can see from these test frequencies, the FleaMarket FMRAD2 worked the best, with the best audio and strongest signals on 4 of the 8 test frequencies. The TEAC PR130 was the best on 2 frequencies and on 2 of the frequencies, neither radio could receive a signal.Next I tuned across the whole FM band and focused on strong local stations. Out of the 14 stations I checked, the results for each are below.

TEAC PR130 = Overall 2/14
FleaMarket FMRAD2 = Overall 12/14

As my second test using this process, this worked well and produced some interesting results. My previous experience with the FleaMarket FMRAD2 on the largewave band had not been great, it was a shock to see how much better it preformed on the FM band. I have always been a bit of a fan of the TEAC PR130 but it struggled on another that was not a strong local signal. Based on this I am going to make it my "at home" casual listening radio and make greater use of the FMRAD2.

https://ultralightradiodxing.blogspot.com/2020/04/head-to-head-testing-teac-pr130-v.html
--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX