Head to Head Testing - AR1690 v AR1733

Paul Blundell

Recently I have purchased a small A/B audio switch box, this is being used for direct audio / signal testing of various radios.

I have mounted this in a small case and have run two 3.5mm audio cables out the back to connect to my radios.

My testing process with the below was to tune both the AR1690 and AR1733 to the same strong local FM station and then adjust the volume levels of each to be as close as possible to identical. I then search the band with each radio and tuned them to the same stations at the same time, using the A/B audio switch box, I then compared the signal levels and audio quality between each.

The results are below.

FREQUENCY - STATION
DIGITECH AR1690
DIGITECH AR1733
95.3MHz - TAMAR FM

96.9MHz - MEANDER VALLEY FM

98.9MHz - 7AD

100.5MHz - ABC DEVONPORT

100.9MHz - 7BU

101.7MHz - SEA FM BURNIE

106.9MHz - RPH RADIO

107.7MHz - SEA FM DEVONPORT

As you can see from these test frequencies, the AR1690 worked the best, with the best audio and strongest signals on 6 of the 8 test frequencies.

Next I tuned across the whole FM band and focused on strong local stations. Out of the 14 stations I checked, the results for each are below.

AR1690 = Overall 10/14
AR1733 = Overall 4/14

As a first test to develop and refine my process this worked well and produced some interesting results, once our COVID19 bans and restrictions are lifted, I will undertaking more of these tests from various locations.

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX