Re: Radio listening as a career

Paul Blundell

That sounds very interesting and something I would have loved to have done.

Paul

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020, 12:12 a.m. Ron Layton via Groups.Io, <micron327=zoho.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just curious to see if anyone else here has made a career of radio listening. I have been doing it professionally for about 40 years. I started out when I joined the US Army Security Agency and trained as an intercept operator, both voice and Morse and years later data intercept. I was stationed in places all over the world and my tours of duty usually lasted from 2 to 3 years so I moved around a lot. My main radio was the Collins R390-A URR. I also was trained on a TRD11 direction finder and some early solid state high tech radios. It was an interesting career. I later worked off and on as a civilian and retired in 2013. It sure played hell with my hearing since we had to turn the radios up so we could try and dig signals out of the QRM and QRN. I loved to listen to AM and was an avid SWL when I was a kid and had a very helpful uncle who gave me a big old Hammarlund HQ-180  for my 10th birthday! I was sure got hooked on DX then!  That's what started it and the rest is history.

--
Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX