Re: "Shelter at Home" -- A Tinkering Nerd's Dream!

Paul Blundell

I can not agree more. I love trying the different areas of the radio hobby and seeing what I can hear. You are an asset to the hobby and always bring new ideas.

On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 7:58 PM Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <D1028Gary=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 01:21 AM, Paul Blundell wrote:
Based on that photos, do you think you have a problem? :)
Thanks Paul,

I've always figured that the best way to keep excited about the radio hobby (and DXing in general) is to constantly push the limits in weird antenna construction, repeatedly attempting to construct something that others think is impossible. 99% of the time "the others" end up being correct, but about 1% of the projects end up being raging DXing successes, proving to be technical breakthroughs that provide a lot of fun and excitement for others. A couple of recent examples are the 7.5" loopstick transplant projects in portable radios, and the lightweight "Frequent Flyer" FSL antennas, designed for astonishing performance during overseas air travel. A similar mindset in exploring ocean coast sites led to the discovery of enhanced transoceanic propagation at plunging ocean cliff sites, demonstrated by exceptional reception of New Zealand MW signals every summer at the Rockwork Cliff in Oregon, and similar exploration at Japan's Cape Taitosaki.

Anybody that really wants to have exceptional fun in this hobby needs to get out of his comfort zone, and try something really new and challenging. DXing with the same antennas at the same place(s) for decades will make anyone feel bored. Constantly pushing the limits in weird new antennas, DXing sites and receiver modification is wild, wacky and thrilling-- but never boring!

Gary

Paul - Moderator
UltralightDX