Re: "Shelter at Home" -- A Tinkering Nerd's Dream!

keith beesley

Thanks, Gary, good advice. Look forward to hearing about your latest antenna creations.

Keith Beesley
(Skyway/Seattle, WA)

On Sunday, March 29, 2020, 01:16:00 AM PDT, Gary DeBock via Groups.Io <d1028gary@...> wrote:

While the Governor of the state of Washington has decreed that all "non-essential" businesses must shut down (marijuana sellers excluded, of course) and all state parks and most ocean beaches are off limits, the "Shelter at Home" situation is actually an experimental bonanza for someone who has always had dreams of many fanatical new antennas-- but never enough time to complete them. Our Maui vacation went up in smoke when Hawaii decreed that all tourists must stay away for 2 weeks, but despite Costco Travel's reluctance to issue a full refund (a common practice in the collapsing travel industry, I understand), weird new FSL antennas that never had a chance of existence are coming out of the woodwork, augmented by funding from the now-aborted Maui vacation (see photo). In addition, the crash course in SDR-DXing that was planned for this month in preparation for Maui has now been replaced by a deliberate, thorough investigation and testing program, so that future sunsets in Hawaii should be fully exploited with spectrum capture of African, South American and Caribbean signals.

My advice to all DXers with a sudden surplus of time is to use the time productively, exercising both your body and mind to keep both in top shape, eager for the opportunities that are sure to come in the future. Nobody has control over the current pandemic, but we certainly have control over our psychological reaction to it. It's kind of similar to what many American DXers faced as teenagers, with the Vietnam War raging, and the draft breathing down our necks. Worrying about a situation beyond our control accomplishes nothing. Use the time productively, and prepare for the future by continually exercising both your mind and body in creative ways, complete with a mindset of determination and optimism. Even though the current situation might seem dire, things will surely turn around, and the future will belong to those who are excited about it!

Gary DeBock (in Puyallup, WA, USA)