Looking for Paul S / Ferrite in SE CT- FARMERIK

Rik

If I remember correctly, you used to DX with simple one active device radios. I just won a Miller Hi Fi crystal AM tuner on Ebay, and wondered if the germanium crystal could be replaced with something more sensitive or a detector/amp solid state device I could power with a battery. I don't want to permanently modify the antique tuner. Here is a page with links-

http://fmamradios.com/XtalTuner.html

Yes, I know it is not an ULR, but could be built small enough.

All are welcome to answer this, not just Paul S.