Re: 2019 Shootout?

Tom Crosbie G6PZZ <tom@...>

Michael,
Battery gunge can often cause short circuits, so a magnifying glass and a very strong light is a good idea. Your worst enemy though is going to be corrosion, as you might have already guessed. This might also mean removing the circuit board from the other part of the case to look on the other side of the board. I don't know that model, but you could look online for a service manual, trying some of its other identities. Perhaps Paul or Gary might be able to help as they are familiar with this radio.

The spring terminals are often stainless steel or plated. They'll usually just wipe clean. The others may be copper or brass. They might need a bit of help with an abrasive material. An emery board donated by my wife has stood me in good stead. They have separate grades on each side which is handy and fits into places my 10" rasp won't.
Good Luck!

Tom G6PZZ

-----Original Message-----
From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael.2E0IHW via Groups.Io
Sent: 24 January 2020 19:16
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] 2019 Shootout?

Thanks, Tom, I have done most of that, but will try it again - with a magnifying glass :-)

I fear the original battery leak may have fed alien voltages to parts of the signal processing circuitry. But maybe it can still be saved. Any additional ideas will be most welcome.

Michael UK

On 24/01/2020 19:02, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ wrote:
I have used this method to fix shavers, torches, radios and flash guns. I hope it helps.

Before opening the case, use cotton wool buds to wipe out excess gunge from the battery compartment. Stubborn bits can be helped by dipping a clean bud moistened, not dripping with white vinegar or lemon juice. Be careful that no liquid spills out of the battery compartment and inside the receiver. Clean around the battery terminals too. If the negative terminal(s) are springs, clean them too the same way. If you can reach the other terminal clean that too. Sometimes you need to remove the case to get better access to that.

Once inside go through the same cleaning process, carefully and a bit at a time. Loose solid pieces can be picked up with forceps, but don't squeeze too tight. Just keep going until all the green has gone. I sometimes finish with a quick wipe around with a bud moistened in isopropyl alcohol. Cotton buds with longer stems are often sold by electronics shops and suppliers. From the good old days of cleaning oxide off tape heads!

Tom G6PZZ

-----Original Message-----
I have an AR-1733. It was good. Sadly the batteries leaked and it is now dead.

Any suggestions as to how to dissect and possible revive it?

Michael UK

On 24/01/2020 13:58, Gary DeBock via Groups.Io wrote:
On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 07:25 PM, Paul Blundell wrote:

As a side note, I am a big fan of the Digitech AR-1733 which can be
easily found in Jaycar stores locally.

Paul,

The Digitech AR-1733 (and the identical Japanese market Elpa
ER-C57WR) are actually predecessors to the C.Crane Skywave model

Join main@UltralightDX.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.