From: main@UltralightDX.groups.io <main@UltralightDX.groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael.2E0IHW via Groups.Io
Sent: 24 January 2020 19:16
To: main@UltralightDX.groups.io
Subject: Re: [UltralightDX] 2019 Shootout?

Thanks, Tom, I have done most of that, but will try it again - with a magnifying glass :-)

I fear the original battery leak may have fed alien voltages to parts of the signal processing circuitry. But maybe it can still be saved. Any additional ideas will be most welcome.

Michael UK

On 24/01/2020 19:02, Tom Crosbie G6PZZ wrote:
I have used this method to fix shavers, torches, radios and flash guns. I hope it helps.

Before opening the case, use cotton wool buds to wipe out excess gunge from the battery compartment. Stubborn bits can be helped by dipping a clean bud moistened, not dripping with white vinegar or lemon juice. Be careful that no liquid spills out of the battery compartment and inside the receiver. Clean around the battery terminals too. If the negative terminal(s) are springs, clean them too the same way. If you can reach the other terminal clean that too. Sometimes you need to remove the case to get better access to that.

Once inside go through the same cleaning process, carefully and a bit at a time. Loose solid pieces can be picked up with forceps, but don't squeeze too tight. Just keep going until all the green has gone. I sometimes finish with a quick wipe around with a bud moistened in isopropyl alcohol. Cotton buds with longer stems are often sold by electronics shops and suppliers. From the good old days of cleaning oxide off tape heads!

Tom G6PZZ